Tuesday 21 June 2011

The story of an unintentional blogger


While it is true that I was not born with that silver spoon, it is also true that I hardly ever walked that extra mile to get anything. Whatever I got was always a kind of gift and nothing was hard-earned!!

Laziness was always in me. I could never reach school on time, I always dozed off at the study table, loved only to bat (bowling involved run-ups), didn't bother to burn the midnight oil even before important exams like the boards (ask any Indian what BOARD exams mean to them and then decide upon the magnitude of my laziness) and today as I write this blog my boss is explaining me how critical time management is to one's career (Yes, i was late to office... again).

By now I hope I have some sympathizers... people who know the value of more than 8  hours of sleep a day, those who regularly squander away time sitting on a couch  engrossed deeply in movies and of course people who risk a divorce for that beer with their friends!!

People of my clan hardly reach anywhere in the pyramid of their career, but we have one thing which no one can beat us at- our ability to talk, think and interpret the world in an unique way (thanks to our restful mind and soul which has ample time to take in any trash which hard-working people hardly consider and reflect upon).

Now the big question arises: How on earth did this native of the lazy-men-club end up blogging (believe me it requires HARD-WORK)!!

The story goes this way....

Once upon a time- in the year 1997 to be precise (REMEMBER: In the Internet era even one year old stuff is history)- there were men called Jorn Barger and Peter Merholz who coined the term "Blog". Websites like Open Diary (1998)  started by Bruce Ableson, LiveJournal (1999) by Brad Fitzpatrick took blogging to the next level. And by the time Evan Williams and Meg Hourihan (Pyra Labs) launched blogger.com in August 1999 (sold to Google in 2003) blogging was almost a household term.

But this was only the beginning of an Era, one that would change the way people thought and above all- REACTED!!

Because in the year 2004 Mark Zuckerberg was to happen. It is for all of us to see today how FB has changed the way we do business. Social media was growing at an unprecedented rate both in volume and effect. In January 2005, Fortune magazine listed eight bloggers that business people "could not ignore": Peter Rojas,Xeni Jardin, Ben Trott, Mena Trott, Jonathan Schwartz, Jason Goldman, Robert Scoble, and Jason Calacanis. The combined brand value of all social media facilitators skyrocketed many times every year since then. 

Cut to the 2011. This lazy creature graduated and like every other inhabitant of "the" lazy world said its high time (happy time) to call STUDIES quits. And this was when I realized how badly people like me need a silver spoon at birth.
So I assembled all my certificates and walked into this organization called NETSCRIBES and managed to get a job (thanks AGAIN to my restful mind which hitherto spend a lot of time studying the SOCIAL MEDIA).
Yes, today I am a SOCIAL MEDIA INTELLIGENCE guy. And this blog is dedicated to this bread earner of mine called the SOCIAL MEDIA SPACE.

9 comments:

  1. Very Meaningful ! Appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its an interesting blog as it helps to understand the evolution of social media and its significance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one. Realisation was at least better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog possesses few sparks of brilliance... job well done considering this was your first blogging experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.... watch out for more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughtful , to the point and well researched....LAZY people like me are looking forward to your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @insightson....- Hope i live up to the expectations of my clan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Informative, Objective, Concise and Entertaining. Looking forward to more such posts to enlighten my lazy mind :)

    ReplyDelete